$15 Budget Total Watercolor Kit

The last post was a larger look at what my basic supplies and why they might be useful to you. During my most recent live session on Instagram @rarnoldstudios a different approach I've used in the past was mentioned. 

Photo by Denise Johnson on Unsplash


This, is that setup. 





It all started... 



Back in 2013 my work was coming into its own. Oils were my primary focus and landscape, mostly abstracted skyscapes, were the driving subjects. As purely a way to pass time during a slow week at work,  I purchased the watercolors you see above.  The painting was the first watercolor I had done since elementary school. I loved the immediacy of the paints. That week 5 paintings were finished and knew this was something special. Its so different than the long process oil paintings i had grown used to. Moreover I was proud of the results. The important thing for us now is that it was done with very cheap materials. The Prang Oval-8 Pan was a constant companion for several years. the compact size made it perfect for quick field sketches. Eventually I upgrade to something with a wider range and higher quality but, without these who knows how my work would look now. 



Anyway, here is the $15 Budget Watercolor Kit. 




All of these supplies are available elsewhere and as my last post outlines, I'm a huge proponent of using what you have on hand. So please experiment and see how it goes. This is doubly true for brushes, I was looking for a inexpensive assorted set to link to but, could not find any I've used before.  This water brush is identical to what I used back in 2013 when all this started and I still have it today.  But, very often you'll find me with some random set of flats, rounds and other odd brushes working away.  So, go check you junk drawer and see if some are hiding out.

Feels like it's time to get another set of this old friend just to have around.
Truly hope you all are Happy Healthy and Safe.



Until next time,
Ryan




Comments

Popular Posts